Sunday, May 11, 2008

Utter and Bitter Disappointment

In selfish scalpers... In myself... & in the inevitable habits of cruel time...

On our way back to Austin, James and I were going to try to go to the Spurs game. We stopped at a couple of ticket places, but nobody was selling anything for less than $150 per ticket for uppers. We decided to go ahead and pay the required arm & leg to park, then try to get some from a scalper closer to the arena. We have been successful doing that before, but evidently, it's a bit more difficult to do for a playoff game... prices were still about $140 per seat from the few scalpers around. Even halfway into the first quarter, nobody would come down on their prices, so James and I are now sitting at Hooligans watching the game, and I still do not have my sparkly pink jersey. :(

When we first got here, they were showing all the celebrities at the game... They showed Tommy Lee Jones, and of course, Eva. Then they showed some old guy. Some totally nondescript old guy in a baseball cap, sitting next to a middle-aged blonde woman. Just as the words, "Who's that old guy supposed to be??" came out of my mouth, the words popped on the big screen...

George. Strait. (and his wife Norma.)

It was my hunny. The man I've been in love with since my prenatal days. The man that winked, waved, and smiled at me as he drove away from the DQ in Dilley. The man that wrote and sang "I Cross My Heart" for me (he did SO). THAT man.

It wasn't just the lack of cowboy hat and view of that adorable Wrangler-clad posterior that made me mistake him for just "some old guy"... He looked so unbelievable aged, I don't know if i would have recognized him in his traditional cowboy hat! Surely i would have if he had smiled at me... those dimples are unmistakable... but then, i thought his whole aura was unmistakable...


I have been plunged into the depths of despair. :(:(:(:(

3 comments:

jenn said...

if he would have started to sing/talk through one of his "this sounds like all my other songs" song, you would have known who he was! :) hee hee, j/k i LOVE YOU!!!!!

Jessica said...

Oh Lin. I can't believe you had a George Moment without me. It's been so long since we got weak in the knees together about George. Last time it seemed I was weak in the knees - but barely walking with 100 degree fever! :(

Anonymous said...

i totally relate to the disappointment, but he's still looking REALLY good to me!!