Monday, June 23, 2008

He's gone.

My liddle brudder is no longer My TyTy... He is now Tyler Bryan, Private First Class, United States Marine Corps.

I think that's his title, anyway. This weekend, James & I went home for Ty's last weekend. Saturday, we took him & his girlfriend to San Antonio for some shopping & a sushi bar for lunch. Then, for dinner, mom made his favorite, Chicken & Dumplings, and since he couldn't decide whether he'd rather have pumpkin crisp or peach cobbler for dessert, she made both.

Last night, the whole family went to drop him off with his recruiting officer for Basic Training. Before dropping him off, we had dinner at Morton's Steakhouse. We all had some form of steak, and we all shared pretty much everything. We had Caesar salad, French bread, sauteed mushrooms, oysters on the half-shell, baked five onion soup, grilled asparagus, Lyonnaise potatoes, lump crab meat, steamed asparagus in Bearnaise sauce, hot -chocolate cake, and cheesecake (imported from a bakery in The Bronx). Everything was fantastic. YUM. Holy Moly, I'm still full from it. Anyway, Tyler's goal for the evening was to be in need of a wheelbarrow to get him to the hotel to meet with his recruiter, and I believe his mission was accomplished. We were all in need of said wheelbarrow.

I didn't think I'd be sad about him leaving, but I was pretty upset about it last night. I know a big part of it is that I know my mom will be sad without him around, and my parents having empty nest syndrome & all, but I think another part of it is that I'm scared they'll change him in a bad way. I'm definitely hoping they'll help him grow up a bit, but what if they change his personality or his sense of humor? I'm scared he won't be my brother anymore.

Alright... off to find the Prozac.

6 comments:

The Johnsons said...

I guess he's not the little boy streaking across your living room anymore! But then again - we were in second grade ourselves... Hope everything turns out well for him!

*Lin* said...

LoL! i totally forgot about that! thanks for the laugh :)

Amy said...

Those fears you have about him changing are the same fears your mom probably had when you left; very normal. He will change, but the basic brother will always be there.

Your mom and dad seemed okay today - calm and okay.

Anonymous said...

He'll grow leaps and bounds as a man and Lord willing be safe as a marine. One of the values I gained from the military was the pride of being part of something no matter how insignificant it seemed at the time. Military life changes men for sure but will pay ten fold in the end. Oh, and just so you know, answer the phone at 3:30 in the morning in about a week or so (that's the only time they'll let him call home), it will be Tyler crying about how much he misses everything he came from. Trust me on this one even if you've never heard him cry. Even if he's coping alright with everything, he'll be crying. Also, don't be scared when the line goes dead, the TI's have a button they push to end the phone call at will. He'll be fine.

Jessica said...

Oh! I was thinking it was Sunday - and I wondered how it went. I am proud of him - and proud to say my cousin is a Marine.

JayAre said...

I thought he was in the Navy....